Professional Background and Experience in Psychotherapy and Personal Consulting
Edward Honnold, JD, LICSW, has excellent academic training and extensive experience counseling clients on personal and professional issues.
- Professional Experience: Edward Honnold is a psychotherapist, career consultant, parent coordinator, and lawyer who has been in professional practice in Washington, D.C. for more than 30 years.
- Counseling Services: As a licensed clinician, Ed Honnold has provided psychotherapy, couples counseling and family therapy to clients in Washington, D.C. for almost 20 years.
- Yale Law School: Launching his first career, as a lawyer, Ed Honnold graduated from Yale Law School in 1978. He practiced law successfully for 14 years in the private sector and in the judicial, legislative and executive branches of government in Washington, D.C.
Click here for Ed’s bio as a lawyer
- Counseling Career: Ed retrained himself for a new career in order to work with individual professionals and their families on a more personal level.
- Masters Degree: While continuing to practice law, Ed earned a Master of Social Work (MSW) degree in 1992 from Virginia Commonwealth University.
- Dual Professional Licensure: Ed is a Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker (LICSW), while also remaining a member in good standing of the District of Columbia Bar.
- Post-Graduate Training: Ed received extensive post-graduate training at the Center for Dissociative and Post-Traumatic Disorders (the “Center”) at the Psychiatric Institute of Washington (PIW). He served as the first Director of the Center’s Partial Hospitalization (Day) Program for survivors of childhood sexual and physical abuse, including many with Dissociative Identity (Multiple Personality) Disorder. In his private practice, Ed continues to treat clients with highly complex dissociative disorders.
- Specialized Training: Ed has received extensive post-graduate and continuing education in specialty areas, such as mediation, couples counseling, group therapy, short-term solution-focused models, cognitive-behavioral therapy, self-psychology, analytic and Jungian therapy, other models of psychodynamic psychotherapy, and mindfulness-based treatment.
- Extensive Private Practice Experience: For almost 20 years, he has been in private practice as a psychotherapist, couples counselor, and career consultant, using his extensive clinical training and his varied professional background to counsel professionals in Washington, D.C. on personal, family and career transition issues.
- Successful Clients: Ed has worked successfully on personal, career and family issues with hundreds of professionals, including many in senior levels of government and in the private sector, Members of Congress and their families, Congressional staff, Executive Branch managers, chief executive officers of trade associations and non-governmental organizations, and corporate executive officers and entrepreneurs, often including their spouses.
- Relationship Issues: Ed provides psychotherapy for individuals and couples specializing in issues of communication, intimacy and partnership. He works with clients on both the beginnings and endings of relationships, including the challenge of “starting over” after a divorce, and he helps divorced and divorcing parents collaborate on parenting issues in the context of high-conflict divorce.
- Community Organizing: Ed works equally well with men and women, and his practice is equally divided between both. Aware of the lack of resources available to support the emotional development of men, he founded in 1978 and led a highly successful community organization in Washington, D.C. dedicated to the personal and emotional development of men.
- Speeches, Presentations and Workshops: Ed has led several group psychotherapy training workshops, and he has spoken extensively to community, graduate school and professional groups (especially lawyers, congressional and federal agency staff) on subjects related to career change.
- Professional Specialty Groups: As a former lawyer, with dual professional licensure in both clinical social work and law, Ed has developed a highly-regarded specialty practice for professionals, including (but not only) lawyers, who are unhappy at work and wish either to find a new job or change their career. Click here for www.LawyerCareerDC.com.
- Successful Practice: Ed has sustained a highly successful private counseling and consulting practice serving individual adults, couples and families, and he has established a solid reputation in the Washington psychotherapeutic and clinical social work communities.
- Consulting for Business Groups: Ed has consulted on organizational development issues for a Washington, D.C.-area trade association, and he has provided individual coaching to trade association senior executives.
- Professional Associations: Ed has been a long-standing member of both the Greater Washington Society for Clinical Social Work (GWSCSW) and the District of Columbia Bar, including the Law Practice Management Section.