Helping Clients Identify and Understand the Problem
HonnolDCounseling helps individuals who have achieved professional success but are personally unhappy -- often without knowing why. Symptoms of distress provide a starting-point for understanding the problem, and a powerful motivation for change.
HonnolDCounseling will help you identify and understand the “symptoms” of your distress, including:
- Lowered motivation, energy or mood;
- Difficulty concentrating at work;
- Fantasies of “escape”;
- Impulsivity (for example, angry outbursts) ;
- Physical pain and discomfort, often mistaken for physical illness;
- Procrastination or disorganization;
- Feeling constantly stressed or “overwhelmed”;
- Hyper-sensitivity to criticism;
- Impaired personal relationships;
- Nagging self-doubt;
- Loss of enjoyment, passion and humor;
- Sadness and despair; or
- Abuse of substances (especially alcohol, drugs, sex and food) -- or overwork.
HonnolDCounseling can help you trace the “cause” of your symptoms to:
- Difficulty setting limits on personal or professional demands;
- Overwhelming burdens and responsibilities;
- Dysfunctional management systems at work;
- Inappropriate choice of work;
- Financial stress;
- Unresolved emotional issues;
- Disappointments in personal life;
- Fear of emotional or physical intimacy;
- An estranged or broken relationship;
- Disturbed family relationships; or
- Sexual frustration, confusion or dysfunction.
If you feel “stuck,” discontent in one sector of life may cause disturbance in another:
- Unhappiness in personal life may impair concentration at work;
- Dissatisfaction at work may impair intimacy in personal life;
- Unresolved distress in childhood, influenced by physical or genetic factors, can cause dissatisfaction both at work and in personal life.
Drawing on a unique, multi-disciplinary background and more than 30 years of clinical experience, HonnolDCounseling can help you identify the:
- Most significant areas of personal and professional concern;
- Source of your discontent;
- Priority issues for attention;
- Each issue’s degree of urgency; and the
- Sequence in which issues should be addressed.
HonnolDCounseling helps clients make sense of their “symptoms” and understand the underlying causes. A careful assessment makes it possible to develop realistic goals that can help a client relieve distress and feel more relaxed, energetic and hopeful.